Wednesday, January 30, 2008

More rain

Well, its raining again. We were almost out of it, with the ground drying up a bit, and I actually walked to work today without having to step through any mud. Oh well, I guess I have another few days of muddy boots and pants to deal with.

I have a lot of respect for the team leader here. He’s a full bird, which means that there is only one person on the entire FOB he doesn’t outrank. So, we’re standing outside waiting for one of our team to get out of the bathroom so we can go to lunch (that’s a whole different story), and literally every person who goes in or out of the TOC salutes him, and he has to break off in the middle of a sentence to return the salute. After a minute he goes, “You know what, I think I’m standing in the wrong place,” and moves out of the front of the building and behind a T-barrier so he won’t have to salute everybody. You gotta love that attitude in an officer. Especially when the same officer has no problems sitting down with a computer toolkit and three printer cartridges for an hour to get the new black cartridge to work so we can actually print stuff again.

Met with the new Psyop guys here, turns out the detachment commander was with the 345th back when I deployed with them in 04. It’s nice to have instant rapport with someone like that.

I cleaned my room last night, and I realized I need some kind of shower rod or dowel to make something to hang my shirts off of. And the internet sucks. A lot. I think I’ve mentioned that before. Apparently you can get a satellite system for $1000, and then like $250 a month service fee. Might be worth it, maybe I’ll ask around and see who else might be interested in it, faster service, hopefully a bit more reliable.

No comments: