Saturday, January 10, 2009

Just a bit of randomness

So, the headline reads "Tattoos come of age in Asia at Singapore show". And the first line of the article is:

His parents were against it, but student Shendon Goh smiled as a tattoo of a skull with a knife through it reading "Live Free or Die Hard" was drawn on his right calf at the first annual Singapore Tattoo Show on Saturday.

So apparently "comes of age" means getting completely useless vaguely symbolic tattoos that don't mean anything. There's some kind of Britney Spears reference to be made here.

Look, I don't disagree with tattoos. I have two, I plan on getting a couple more. But tattoos should be relevant to your life. Talking with tattoo artists after bringing in my own researched tattoo image, I've realized that artists hate people who walk into their shop, look in the flash book and pick something out. This thing you are doing is a permanent addition to your body, and the one thing you don't want to tell your kids and grandkids when they ask "what's that?" is "Oh, I just thought it looked cool."

No comments: